The teabaggers are out in force. We don’t have the lobbyist money of AHIP and Wellpoint and Blue Cross, but we have a lot of people who care. If you want to show up and support Democrats and ask them to pledge to vote only for a strong public plan, here’s what you can do.
FIND EVENTS IN YOUR AREA:
Determine events that your Rep will be at by:
- Checking our events calendar
- Checking your member’s websites
- Calling your member’s district office and asking about upcoming events (search for member and then click “complete contact information” in the right sidebar at Project VoteSmart)
- Signing up for their email lists and getting updates
LET OTHERS KNOW ABOUT THE EVENT
- Tells us the time, the date and the location on our August Recess Event form
- We’ll add it to our August Event Calendar so everyone will know about it
- We’ll also list it every day for a week in advance on FDL
- Embed the calendar on your blog or website by copying and pasting the code into your HTML:
|<iframe src=”http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?title=——%20%20August%20Whip%20Count%20Calendar%20——&showTitle=0&showNav=0&showPrint=0&showTz=0&mode=AGENDA&height=600&wkst=1&bgcolor=%23ffffff&src=p509ha6tsvrpp67r36slqg2pcc%40group.calendar.google.com&color=%23B1440E&src=mq5a37clg0ct6je9aeo097gu54%40group.calendar.google.com&color=%230D7813&ctz=America%2FNew_York” style=” border:solid 1px #777 ” width=”300″ height=”600″ frameborder=”0″ scrolling=”no”>
- Search to see if there is a meet-up for the event in your area already and sign up to attend
- If there isn’t one, you can create an event with our meetup tool so others can join you
- As a constituent, you can also call your Rep’s office and request a private meeting for you and others
PUBLICIZE THE MEET-UP
- Post about the meetup at a local state blog or on The Seminal
PREPARE FOR THE MEET-UP
- Review the fine Don Briggs post about the best practices they used for an orderly and productive meeting where teabaggers failed to disrupt it.
- Take a copy of the Pledge
- Take flip video cameras and still cameras to document
DOCUMENT THE MEETUP AND LET EVERYONE KNOW WHAT HAPPENED
- Ask the Rep to take the Pledge
- Take video (preferably) or pictures
- Tell us what happened, and upload videos and pictures
- Post about it on local blogs or The Seminal
- Send us a link to action DOT firedoglake AT gmail DOT com
We’ll be following up with meeting organizers and linking back to your posts in our “What’s Happening in the States” feature that we run every day on FDL. We’ll also be sending these posts directly to the Rep to make sure they see it.
Mike Stark will also be going to many of these events, and we’re going to be announcing a “bring Mike Stark to your event” contest soon.